The “Excelsior cookies” are dessert biscuits typical of the Sicilian tradition. They are a dessert that is consumed on any occasion of conviviality.
Excelsior cookies are also called “dolci da riposto”, meaning the cupboard closet where traditionally sweet foods were also kept because they resisted longer.
These delicious sweets are made of a simple shortbread without eggs and a filling made from almond flour.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $17.82Was: $23.28
Directions0/0 steps made
- To prepare the shortcrust pastry, mix the butter (150 gr) and the sugar (90 gr) in a bowl and pour the milk a little at a time. Mix everything until you get a mixture of a whitish colour, then add the sifted flour and work everything until the mixture does not obtain a soft and homogeneous consistency.
- Put the mixture in a pastry bag with a large star-shaped nozzle and make the biscuits in the shape you prefer (usually, these cookies are stick-shaped, round or horseshoe-shaped)
- Place the biscuits in a pan lined with baking paper and bake at 180 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. Once ready, let them rest and cool outside of the oven.
- To prepare the filling, place the almond flour, the sugar (150 gr), the glucose, the water, the drops of bitter almond essence, the coloring and the jam in a bowl. Mix the ingredients well and add the creamy butter. Adjust with water if the mixture is too hard.
- At this point, spread the filling on the smooth part of the biscuits and cover with another biscuit to form a sandwich.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter (30 gr) in a bain-marie so as to form an icing in which you will dip half of the biscuit. Make the glaze harden and serve at room temperature.